In The Home Mr. Turner
MR. TURNER explores the last quarter century of the great if eccentric British painter J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851).
Profoundly affected by the death of his father, loved by a housekeeper he takes for granted and occasionally exploits sexually, he forms a close relationship with a seaside landlady with whom he eventually lives incognito in Chelsea, where he dies.
Throughout this, he travels, paints, stays with the country aristocracy, visits brothels, is a popular if anarchic member of the Royal Academy of Arts, has himself strapped to the mast of a ship so that he can paint a snowstorm, and is both celebrated and reviled by the public and by royalty.
- Timothy Spall
- Jamie Thomas King
- Roger Ashton-Griffiths
- Robert Portal
- Director: Mike Leigh
- Writer: Mike Leigh
- Producer: Georgina Lowe
- Official Selection: Cannes Film Festival 2014
- Winner: Best Actor - Cannes Film Festival 2014
- Nominated - 87th Academy Awards
- Best Cinematography - Dick Pope
- Best Costume Design - Jacqueline Durran
- Best Original Score - Gary Yershon
- Best Production Design - Suzie Davies & Charlotte Watts